General chat (about whatever)

How would metal cases protect them? Faraday cages would help, though.

2 Likes

A metal case is a Faraday cage - you just need to make sure there are no gaps, and if there are any, you should cover those with tinfoil (three layers of tinfoil are recommended). You can test it with a loud radio inside the case to see if the signal is completely cut off. And don’t waste tinfoil on a hat: use it to guard your chips.

4 Likes

What do you mean by gaps?

Isn’t it a cage?

Does it have to be solid sheet metal? I’m confused.

1 Like

Basically an air-tight safe. Think of it that way.

Although really, it is just a waste anyway, since an EMF would wipe out DNS and web servers that are unprotected, and 99% of them probably are not.

2 Likes

Yes, but a faraday cage works without the aluminum shields, so IDK :person_shrugging:

1 Like

This is “general chat”, so I think there isn’t anything that’s off topic here.

Design patterns aren’t exactly my strong suit. Popular frameworks like Symfony and Laravel are a joy to develop in, but aren’t really designed to run well on web hosting. CMS like WordPress run well, but then you’ll usually end up bolting stuff to the side instead of developing on top of it, which isn’t as much fun IMO.

If you want something that’s both small and relatively easy to work on, you could build your own framework and choose the design pattern you want. I don’t think there is any design pattern that’s objectively the best option for this.

I don’t know, but I don’t think so. A nuclear war is generally speaking a really unlikely event. And by the time nukes are being detonated above our cities, I’d be worried about other things than my website.

Cloud backups should/could be safe by being replicated across multiple regions. So if one datacenter gets bombed, there is another datacenter thousands or tens of thousands of KM away where the data is available.

The benefit of this method is that it works against all kinds of attacks, not just EMP. Even if the datacenter gets blown up or whatever, the data is safe. Your tin foil wouldn’t do much in that case.

5 Likes

Did you mean EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse)?

Yes, I did.

On the EMP weapon issue, it’s worth having a look at this:-

https://uwkcase.com/blogs/blog/how-to-protect-electronics-against-an-emp-electromagnetic-pulse

I don’t know if it’s vital to close all the gaps, but I know of a case of a parrot owner who had an outdoor cage which somehow still had a lightning strike come right through the middle of it to burn the ground underneath, though it did have a part that extended inwards. If you have a cage of any kind, you should be able to test its effectiveness by using a radio inside it - if the signal’s able to get in, it isn’t good enough. I suspect the biggest holes you can get away with are the ones in a fine mesh.

There is a significant risk of a nuclear war if a certain narcissist loses his “special peacekeeping operation” and comes out of it looking stupid - he might decide to commit suicide and take the whole world with him. It’s more likely though that he would respond with a lesser use nuclear weapons in space where no one is killed directly (though people in hospital would die from sudden equipment failures) - this would be a clever way for Russia to get revenge for the extreme sanctions while stopping short of a full nuclear war, and that’s why I think it might well happen. If datacenters aren’t adequately protected against this, a few dozen well placed explosions a few hundred miles up could wipe out every copy of whatever you have stored in the cloud, as well as destroying the copies in your house, so you have to ask if that’s a risk you should take. That’s why I now have everything stored in tins and metal cases: I don’t want to lose my work, but I also don’t want to have to wait potentially a decade to get hold of a replacement machine to program on. It might still take months for the power to come back on, but as soon as it does, I’ll be back to work.

1 Like

With no internet. Because, you know, that won’t work either.

1 Like

I think it’ll work just fine as my work doesn’t depend on internet access, apart from doing the odd bit of research into things like getting specifications for things like USB controllers. I built my own operating system (which doesn’t yet have drivers to access the internet), and I’ve been adding artificial intelligence capability to it to push it towards AGI, taking advantage of the cutting edge linguistics work I did previously (and which led me into programming).

2 Likes

Good job, but I also think you will be more worried about food. Because the entire shipping industry will be kaput without technology, and money will by worthless (Since you won’t be able to get anything from the bank as they cannot verify your identity or your account), everyone will resort to crime to get the food they need. If you live out in the country, or have a farm, consider yourself a bit better (As cars won’t work, they will by taken out by the EMP as well (Unless it is an old manual one).

5 Likes

Basically, everyone dies one way or another because tech, disgusting yet lovely, is holding our lives together.

2 Likes

I expect we’ll all have to spend a lot of time working in fields to compensate for all the modern farm machinery that will stop working. We’ve done a great job of setting up systems that can fail spectacularly, but there will be options to requisition old vehicles, yachts, canal boats, and even steam trains to put them to work distributing essential goods. It would be interesting to know how much capacity that could provide compared with the amount needed. We’d likely manage to get electric trains back up and running within a year, and that would fix a lot of the problems. Where I live, there are good hunting and fishing options, and loads of wind-generated power which would be repaired as a priority, so I think I could get back to work fairly quickly, but even if that isn’t the case, I’m sure I’ll be able to get back to it a lot sooner by preserving the computers I program on instead of letting them be fried and having to wait a decade for new ones to appear again in the shops at unaffordable prices and possibly with substantially inferior spec.

3 Likes

That’s good! You will be much better off then I will be.

2 Likes

My Alienware scratches so easily, I doubt it will hold up any better to a possible strike. Either way, IG I’ll make a cage for it. Hey, at least I got something beefy to get back to if it happens!

1 Like

Why would you need a gaming PC when you can now play Fallout IRL?

6 Likes

I still can’t understand this conversation, maybe I am a bit younger to understand :hugs:

Lol. Welcome to the world of informal Admin, great to have to here!

8 Likes

I like this topic! It’s a bit more serious than the 10k celebration topic, which I like.

8 Likes