Free hosting for non-profits (political discussion)

Yes. Premium hosting provides backups.

6 Likes

I thought so… So there is one, you are just trying to charge me for it… I understand…

So now we have established that there is a backup, you guys are just holding it to ransom, how do we move forward now that the truth has been established?? I am not going to pay you for the backup, so what other options are available to me??

Thanks,

Paul

Fine, you don’t have to. The reason why it exsists on premium and not free is because premium users are actually paying for the server space and power that those backups require to run and be stored.

A: Host your site with a different premium provider that provides backups
B: Take them yourself (Which is recommended no matter where you host your site, premium or free)

9 Likes

All free hosting sites are backed up in case they switch plans, is that right?? Or is somebody going to try and tell me that no backups are taken place on any free accounts until they decide to pay??

I accept it was my mistake to accidently delete the wrong htdocs folder, does the Government of Mail seizing domains off a third party totally out of the control of the people that use the domains and have acquired them in good faith come under your force majeure policies?? Can we not use the force majeure legislation to protect people from such events in this instance to get our backup??

How do I contact them?? I would be more than willing to reach out to them, they might be more helpful than what I am getting here…

No backups are ever created of free hosting accounts. Even people who buy premium hosting do not get backups of free accounts. Only their premium accounts are backed up.

When you buy premium hosting, you can ask iFastNet support to migrate your account from free hosting. They will then copy the contents of your free hosting account into your premium hosting account, and perform most of the necessary configuration rewrites.

Once the data is on premium hosting, it will be backed up according to the regular premium hosting backup system.

Nope.

I will state again: we don’t have backups of free accounts. No matter what happens, we cannot provide you with a backup because we don’t have it.

Considering the .ml domain takedown, I don’t see how it makes a difference. Our hosting itself is entirely unaffected by this. All websites files, databases, and DNS settings on our end were unaffected. We provide the tools to bring custom domains but we cannot take responsibility for the domain registration itself. If you lose the domain, whether that’s through the registry being transferred, or just because you forgot to renew it, then it’s your responsibility to find a solution for it. And it’s your responsibility to then migrate your website to the new domain. We provide the tools required to do so, but it’s up to you to use them properly.

If you then mess up with the domain change and you accidentally delete your files, that’s on you. You are responsible for the administration of your website. If you make a mistake, that’s your problem and your responsibility. If you want to have backups of your site to recover from if things went wrong, then you should make (and test!) them before starting the migration.

Provider backups don’t excuse you from this by the way. I’ve had (premium) customers who did a dangerous upgrade, broke their site, and only afterwards checked for backups. Only to find out that the only backups they had were incomplete or outdated, because they didn’t test beforehand.

We just provide the hosting. It’s up to you to use it safely and responsibly. Failure of a third party to provide their service does not entitle you to special treatment service from us. Neither does user error.

Force Majeure is for things like us not being able to guarantee the uptime of your site if an asteroid crashes into the datacenter and all our servers are in a smoldering pile at the center of the crater. Then we can claim it because there is just no way we could have avoided it.

Note that our terms of service doesn’t specifically have a Force Majeure clause because we basically provide our entire hosting as-is and without warranty. We do take reasonable precautions to ensure data integrity and availability, but it’s done on a best effort basis.

8 Likes

So even if I offered to pay you now for the backup one would not miraculously appear and I would be able to pay for it?? Is that right… I find it incredible that free hosting plan (who are the bread and butter, without free plans there is no infinity free) are not protected more, sometimes from themselves as I accept full responsibility for deleting the files…

What is the split here between paid plans and free plans here, I would hazard a guess that less than 10% pay you… You are protecting the minority rather than the majority in my view…

For the last time

Backups are not created unless you are on premium hosting.

There are no backups of free hosting. It does not matter if you upgrade right now, we can’t recover the files you deleted, because once again, there are no backups.

Enough people upgrade to premium from free where free hosting is still profitable enough to keep around. Obviously, the exact statistic is not going to be released.

9 Likes

I will wait until an official source tells me rather than my equal a forum user, but when they do, I won’t bring it up again… Obviously it is way below 20% of your user base, if it was higher they wouldn’t feel the need to be made to feel better than free people if there was more than there was on free plan, it would be majority rule wouldn’t it… You being a forum user, wouldn’t even know the answer anyway…

Now I feel offended. I am a moderator here, and have been on the platform for over 3 years. Additionally, Admin has also told you that backups are not taken on free hosting. I don’t know who you want to talk to.

If you are only here to get a backup of your files, I’m just going to repeat what admin already said. I’m sorry, but that’s just not possible.

Please stop wasting both your time and our time for something that does not exsist.

Thanks

8 Likes

Yes a thread moderator… You have already tried to interfere with me calling out attacks on me by unlisting posts… Like I said, when an official source confirms it to me to be the case I won’t raise the issue again… But I will say what incredibly bad practice it is to not protect people, especially when there is no customer service you are forcing 90% (as 90% of people that host here will be on free plans) onto the servers, mistakes are bound to happen, which makes backing them up more essential in my view… But that is just a difference of opinion, like I said I have told Admin the money is there for the backup, once he tells me that I cannot pay him, end of the matter…

Please do not deviate from the topic

7 Likes

As it is an informal topic, it does not need to be as strict as hosting support topics should be.

7 Likes

I’m not sure this should be answered here, but regardless, aside from the Admin’s response above, what’s more official than the documentation/knowledge base article on backups:

9 Likes

The admin of InfinityFree already has.

8 Likes

I have to clarify stuff here:
I have an iFastNet Premium Starter Web Hosting Account, and they do not provide any automatic backups (as far as I am aware, not sure if they secretly do them without allowing me to take it easily). Even I backup manually through the cPanel, it’s still stored on the same disk drive, while it won’t do anything with the fire incident, it’s a great way to restore your site quickly and easily in case you mess up anything

I do not know about the other iFastNet Hosting plans, but if you have anything about the starter plan, I may be able to answer.

8 Likes

It’s way, way less than 10%.

You get what you pay for. The more you pay, the more you get. Because the more you get, the more it costs us, and we need to recover those costs somehow.

So yes, we’re protecting the minority, not the majority. Because that minority are actually people who pay for the server space to use, instead of getting everything for free. They pay for the space they use, which means it’s also possible to factor in the costs of creating and storing backups in the package price.

Accessibility for people with disabilities is also not helpful for the vast majority of people. That doesn’t mean it’s wrong to do it.

cPanel’s built-in backup feature does not support backing up to other servers as far as I know. Third party addons exist that can do it (JetBackup comes to mind) and also offer the ability to inspect and restore backups yourself, but iFastNet doesn’t have anything like that as far as I can tell.

I think their backup system works separately from cPanel, and you would need to ask support to restore the backup for you.

But you may want to ask iFastNet if you want to be sure, I’m not an authoritative source regarding their premium services.

8 Likes

spam_alert(“ARGH! @ this thread”);

ok i’ll shut up now :rofl:

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.