[FEATURE REQUEST] SSH Implementation

Like, instead of js we could use Python and some commands like pip, etc

Interesting. But as far as i know JS is client side unlike Python. Commands are disabled due the security purpose, So pip is also disabled and Cannot be enabled.

3 Likes

Which part of “js” do you mean? We do “support” client side Javascript (as in, our servers can distribute JS script files for the browser to run). But we don’t support Node.js (server side Javascript), nor do we have any plans to do so.

The thing is that we would also need to offer a server component to actually run web applications with it (like Passenger), not just the ability to run commands.

6 Likes

They did say that it cannot be excessive usage of disk space or bandwidth though. Plus they have to share the CPU power fairly.

It is free, but iFastNet gets to manipulate what is free, so they can offer you or convince you to pay for their plans. ‘There ain’t no free lunch.’ Understand the meaning? There is always a price for something free. It might not be obvious but there always a price.

The admin needs enough capital plus enough income to mantain it’s independance, plus he needs to earn money. Disk space and storage space are the main factors plus CPU in cost.
Laravel is possible to implement, it just a headache to (I seen people doing and asking about it in the forum).

@shreejalmaharjan What do you mean by a python server? A simplehttp server that acts like an actual server? Or an interpreter. Plus giving shell access is a bit risky. There are always almost at least a security hole. (Security holes are discovered every day.)

3 Likes

Hey @Admin . What about being able to use python in your websites? That sounds like a pretty cool feature you could add.

Also, what would it take to make a cPanel of your own?

I’m confused, is this Python in Web pages? It’s Django not Python itself.

Python support is available on premium hosting as part of CloudLinux. It might be possible to offer this on free hosting too. But I personally find the cPanel experience for anything other than PHP to be quite frustrating, due to the harsh limitations caused by trying to fit the language to a web hosting platform.

The only benefit to cPanel’s implementation is that it’s much cheaper to find cPanel hosting with Python support than it is to host an application on a proper application hosting platform like Heroku. Because in terms of features and easy of use, cPanel’s implementation doesn’t come close.

A lot of time and effort, primarily. As in, many thousands of hours.

5 Likes

Well, as with what the Admin said, it pretty much not really possible right now. But you could have a compiler which turns python into PHP for execution.

That’s why. I meant Django.

I know this might be like a very trivial feature, but what about adding a feature where you can
change / import themes to the cPanel?

1 Like

Like customize how the it looks?

1 Like

From what I’ve seen VistaPanel (cPanel used by InfinityFree) used to have multiple themes, based on screenshots of it made for mofh resellers. However I guess it was removed long before I started using it.

2 Likes

It’s not trivial, because we don’t use cPanel. So we can’t just enable a cPanel feature in our panel.

3 Likes

yes.

What is VistaPanel and why is it so much different from cPanel? If you actually do, will it be hard to bring that feature back?

VistaPanel was created by iFastNet specifically for ByetHost (a free host by iFastNet) and resellers of MOFH (like Infinity Free). This was done to save costs, since it’s free hosting it would be ridiculous to use cPanel or another paid panel. VistaPanel is designed to match the looks of cPanel so users can use something they’re familiar with.

5 Likes

Cpanel cost money, but has lot of features (You (We) would need a license). Vistapanel is free.

3 Likes

A cPanel license is dirt cheap in comparison to the massive investment of time and effort required to build a custom panel. A large proportion of most businesses expenses are caused by staff, like salaries, taxes and insurance. Building a panel takes effort, effort takes people, and people cost money.

But most of the biggest free hosting providers in the world use a custom panel. That’s because a custom panel allows you to design the system from the ground up to work well for free hosting, and implement security features and cost saving measures which are necessary to provide free hosting sustainably.

There are free hosting providers who use cPanel. But most of them have signup restrictions, country restrictions, or are fly-by-night hosts with great ambitions today who will be gone tomorrow.

And last summer, cPanel changed their billing, so it’s no longer a flat fee per server. Hosting providers also need to pay them at least $0.10 per account per month now. Which is no problem for a premium account of $5 per month, but definitely a problem for free hosting.

5 Likes