Error when I upload a new site via FTP

Website URL

anonimokatamarkenio.com.ar

Error Message

Could not write to the local file

Other Information

When I want to upload the site, the names of the folders and files are created, but they appear empty (0k).

are you using an ftp app like filezilla (recommended)

for free hosting you’ll find that any files larger than 10MB will be automatically deleted

also make sure youre uploading to the htdocs directory (the website root) otherwise the files will be automatically deleted

3 Likes

@lovebug thanks for your answer

1. Yes, I am using Filezilla

2. The whole site is about 8 MB. No large files.

3. Yes, I am uploading to htdocs.

Filezilla gives me the error message: “Could not write to the local file”.

Can you please share the full logs?

3 Likes

screenshot

Log:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message…
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message…
Status: Starting upload of C:\Users\Gabriel\OneDrive\Dani\anonimokatamarkenio.com.ar\index.html
Command: CWD /htdocs
Response: 250 OK. Current directory is /htdocs
Command: TYPE A
Response: 200 TYPE is now ASCII
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (185,27,134,11,138,107)
Command: STOR index.html
Response: 150 Accepted data connection
Response: 226 File successfully transferred
Error: Critical file transfer error
Response: 421 Timeout - try typing a little faster next time
Error: GnuTLS error -110 in gnutls_record_recv: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.
Error: Could not read from socket: ECONNABORTED - Connection aborted
Error: Disconnected from server

Thanks!

check folder permissions.

2 Likes

I checked the default permissions on my htdocs directory and its set to 755

1 Like

Seems that you are using OneDrive for those files
There might be something in OneDrive that only retrieve the file names, and only downloads them when you open it.
See this: Save disk space with OneDrive Files On-Demand for Windows - Microsoft Support

I recommend you to copy all files in OneDrive to a local folder, and upload it from the folder to InfinityFree. This may solve the empty files error

As for the “Could not write to local file”, I dont know what’s that error, sorry.

7 Likes

I don’t see this below in OP log (only in the screenshot)
Response: 451 Failure writing to local file
but if it really exists then these are some of the reasons:

C/P from net

There are three possible reasons why the FTP server may return this error:

The drive (on the FTP server that the file is being stored on) is full (or there is not enough free space available for the file being sent)

The user has a limit on the amount of disk space (on the FTP server) they can use (a quota) and they’ve reached that limit (or will exceed it with the file being sent)

The permissions on the folder (on the FTP server) do not allow this user to store files in it

Most of the FTP servers run on UNIX-like OS. These OS, when detecting a fatal filesystem problem, switch their filesystem into read-only mode until the administrator has fixed the problem

4 Likes

I’m not sure if this is a server issue. If I try to find the error message “Could not write to local file”, I do see some references to it in FileZilla translation files, but those refer to a piece of source code where it’s not being referenced.

I’m not sure it is a server issue because you don’t see any error message in the the server logs, the server says 226 File successfully transferred, which means that as far as the server knows, the transfer was successful.

So my guess is that FileZilla starts the transfer, tries to read the data from the file on your computer, fails to do so, and as a consequence stops the transfer without transferring any data.

Reading the replies again, the OneDrive explanation from @SpookyKipper seems like a very good explanation for this. Why it says “write” and not “read”, which is what you would expect in an upload, I don’t know. But my guess is that downloading the files from OneDrive will fix this issue.

3 Likes

@SpookyKipper, you are right!

I first downloaded the site from OneDrive to my PC and then I was able to upload it without any inconvenience.

Thank you very much!

4 Likes

@Admin yes, @SpookyKipper is right!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.