Cannot connect to FTP

I have a problem with connecting my FTP Client (tried FileZilla, WinSCP, and SmartFTP) to my website. I was able to connect through FileZilla at first but the uploading was very slow, so I cut the connection and reconnect again, then the error messages started.
First I got “Failed to retrieve directory listing” but at least the connection was up, then after some attempts I got “connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity”, tried again and after some time I got this error “Connection attempt failed with EACCES - Permission denied”, frustrated enough so I disabled the firewall, restarted my computer, reset the router, deleted the saved site on FileZilla and re-added it, tried other FTP Clients mentioned above. Finally, I got the following error “An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions. Connection failed.”.

I think I got all possible errors that any FTP Client software can experience, and I’m out of solutions so any help would be much appreciated.

Does this help?

6 Likes

I read it before, problem is my connection to my site through FTP is not stable. Now, I’m able to reconnect again, but I don’t know if that gonna face me again. That makes me think of InfinityFree’s servers issues.
Thanks for replying.

Based on the fact that there are not 5 million topics on this, my guess is it is something on your local machine, network, or with your ISP.

Can you do this:

5 Likes

Our servers have quite strict inactivity timers. So if you want to do something, you need to connect, navigate to the folder and start the transfer. If you don’t do anything for too long, you’ll need to reconnect first to be able to do anything. With FileZilla, there is a Disconnect and a Reconnect button in the top bar, right next to each other, to do that.

I don’t recognize this error myself, but a quick search tells me that this can either be caused by a firewall issue on your Windows desktop or because something went wrong with the networking system in Windows.

This post has a few different options to troubleshoot and fix this, but you can search the web for other solutions too:

5 Likes

Yes, you are right. Things must have been messed up on my end.

I think the problem has been caused by many factors at the same time, hence different errors in the same session.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.