500 error - PHP upgrade

Website URL

www.thisisaproject.com

Error Message

I don’t know how to enable console log but I’m pretty sure the recent upgrade of InfinityFree from PHP 7.4 to PHP 8.2
My wordpress website is returning 500 and I cannot access the admin screen.

Other Information

I think I need to upgrade my PHP version of my wordpress. How can I do this if I haven’t access to admin screen?

I’m pretty sure the recent upgrade of InfinityFree from PHP 7.4 to PHP 8.2 is causing the issue.

4 Likes

Thank you very much!
I managed to see the error printing thanks to your help. This is the error:
fatal error : __autoload() is no longer supported, use spl_autoload_register() instead in /home/vol4_5/epizy.com/epiz_31128876/htdocs/wp-includes/compat.php on line 502

it does seem like a problem of version as I was expecing.

I’m gonna try to fix this (PHP warning: __autoload() is deprecated · Issue #4 · dzuelke/wordpress-12factor · GitHub maybe???) but the would really help to be able to update the version via the admin screen (which is not accessible)

ok so i tried a few things and it doesn’t work.

The problem does not come from one of the plugins i can disable by renaming the plugins folder.
I cannot fix it by changing the name of the function on the file directly.

The issue is most probably the update of the PHP version as mentioned earlier. Is there anyone from infinity or someone that had this issue already to tell me how can I update the version of my wordpress to be able to run on the latest PHP version used by infinityfree?

I completely agree. This definitely seems like a problem where some of the WordPress core code is not compatible with PHP 8.2. Many other people are using WordPress on PHP 8.2 without problems, so updating to a new version should do the trick.

You can do so without access to WordPress itself. In fact, the safest way to update doesn’t involve the WordPress admin in the first place.

If you used the Softaculous installer to install WordPress, you can also use it to update WordPress. In the list of installations, it should show you the option to update.

If Softaculous isn’t an option, you can do a manual update instead. The process on how to do that is described on the official WordPress documentation here: Updating WordPress – Documentation

If you’re looking for documentation that’s more specific for our hosting, know that the process to update WordPress is actually quite similar to what we wrote here: How to fix a corrupted WordPress installation

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.