20000 forum users - Awesome Special Event!

Same as when people tattoo chinese words on themselves which translates to some funny crap.

9 Likes

this is what my brain sees

7 Likes

That’s mis-translation

Maybe “beware of slippery floor” is better

9 Likes

whats red and smells like blue paint ?

red paint :smiley:

6 Likes

That’s a bit too creative :joy:

I don’t know if any of you knows this, but today is the Chinese new year! :partying_face:

9 Likes

This so weird because I just realized that the TrustPilot topic was muted for me, but I don’t remember muting the topic. That would explain why it was pinned but never showed up as pinned.

7 Likes

This is the intended behaviour of your memory. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

That also happened to me with that one music topic that I can’t remember the name of but I think lovebug started it. But that topic will stay muted :blush: (nothing personal, just didn’t want to see all that music)

6 Likes

This is why i hate major versions. I’ll have to edit a whole lot of code :sneezing_face:

8 Likes

Happy CNY to you and all who celebrate this day

8 Likes

This sounds like ChiNese Yuan to me :joy:

Got similar thing from Cloudflare lol

6 Likes

I thought they normally refer to as RMB (renminbi) ?

6 Likes

Both are used. It’s a hassle indeed

6 Likes

I used to run a forum and would come up with silly games for the users and sometimes offer even sillier prizes and seeing the post here about dodgy translations just remembered the time I ran the translation game

The game was played like this

First something was written in english and then google translated into a random language of the users choice

The new translated text was further translated by google translator into a second language

And then translated again into a third language

Finally the text was translated back into english and the game was for other users to guess what the original text was :rofl:

The winner then get to create the next challenge :smiley:

7 Likes

such languages are completely foreign to me,
to me it feels like watching The Rorschach test (pictures) :slight_smile:

maybe you accidentally pressed the forum keyboard shortcut
Screenshot 2024-02-10 200309

Yeah, and it takes a lot of reading how which API works etc.

btw. I’m done - now I just need to wait for the final version instead of this beta to see if everything is ok and then upload it.
most of it was enough just to replace it with vanilla
but in a couple of places there was drama that you get totally lost and don’t know what to try anymore - as if I opened Pandora’s box, problem after problem, cascading.

In one case I had to make my own (to replace what JQ threw out)

String.prototype.isFunction = function(){if(typeof this.valueOf(this) === 'function'){return this.valueOf(this);}};$.isFunction = function(e){return String.prototype.isFunction.call(e);};

because it turned out to be the most painless way… because some plugins are huge and after a few hundred lines of code I can no longer follow and keep the values in my head because everything is like

and I no longer know how to find the original initial one, because later they get values from something XY like a(this),b(this)
x is now a but a is also b (loool) :joy:
so it throws an error because it can no longer get data from a function that jQuery had in it and which was upgraded/expanded with several others that vanilla does not have or vanilla only handles string in that function and not the other data types that jQuery handles.

But OK
after all the changes, the entire code is not bigger, but smaller by 10-20KB

if it had increased with my modifications, then I would have kept the existing version 3.7.1

jQuery was very useful 10 years ago when it was really painful to do something without having to write code for each browser individually and the rest of the mess that reigned
and he helped a lot so that you don’t have to think too much
and also reduced the required code (often by half or more).
Today, as you can see, most of the things from the jQuery browser have in itself
or new ones are added in JS or borrowed from jQuery.

9 Likes

Often with paint each colour smells different. I think it’s intended to help blind painters identify them.

10 Likes

Can anyone understand that?

What was the message?

5 Likes

Oh no… I think .cf and .gq domains are gone as well

7 Likes

Here’s a clip of my (pretty much finished) song:

I think I’m going to try to move on to create another song instead of spending my days tweaking everything, adding and removing parts of the song and getting frustrated that I can’t make it “better.”

This song took a while to make as it’s been worked on here and there, meaning
there’s quite a skill gap between the beginning and end (more “refined” and “complex” at the end in contrast to the start).

The most I’m going to do with this now is master and clean it up, but I’d like to take on the torturous act challenge of making some of the other small melodies I’ve made into a song.

This is it guys, I’m moving on :grin:

Hopefully I’ll create an even better song now!

6 Likes

Also, in other news:

I read another article talking about China has already done this in a trial, too.

Maybe I can get my hearing back to normal :laughing:

8 Likes