20000 forum users - Awesome Special Event!

Talking about ISPs, one of my WiFi routers is vulnerable to IDOR attacks. I recently wanted to test my wifi router’s security, and I did some research and found out I can perform a wifi router restart without logging in as an admin :sweat_smile: :joy:. Feels terrible about the provider though lol.

7 Likes

Happy new year everyone!

There are pros and cons to having the SVGs as separate files.

Inlining them means there are no additional HTTP requests, but it does inflate the size of your HTML page a bit.

With external links, you do have additional HTTP requests, which (especially without HTTP/2) makes them a bit slower on first load. But you only need to download each icon once, two links on the same page to the same image will only trigger one request, and subsequent pages should load the file from cache. Also, there is more chance for things to break (i.e. an image failing to load).

On free hosting, where hits are limited and bandwidth is (practically) not, there is a strong incentive to inline the SVGs. Without a hits limit, it boils down to personal preference.

If you can link to them on a third party domain (like a CDN), this reduces the load the most of course on your hosting. However, there are also pros and cons to this for performance. Pro: CDN should be faster than site hosting. Con: more DNS lookups, SSL handshakes, etc.

In the client area, all the SVGs are inlined. I don’t think the additional HTML makes for a big difference in page size, and the source templates use includes to keep the templates clear and readable.

11 Likes

Hi all,

First of all, Happy New Year 2024!

As to the SVG topic and in free hosting context, one way of saving resources while avoiding the HTML file size limit (somewhere around 5MB? I didn’t take note of that… lol) is to host the svgs on GitHub. It’s code so Github is also a good candidate to host those.

Simply link the raw format of those and include it back into the HTML page and you got yourself CDN accelerated svgs that do not consume hits and inode.

Cheers!

8 Likes

But that has the same downfall as described here:

10 Likes

Yes, it would have those downfalls, but its free🤣

2 Likes

LOL I’m proud of you.

9 Likes

I only used Bootstrap 4 to 5, the styling on the input is the reason for the goto but components like dropdown and popup elements never worked too well. It simply gave the Bootstrap look and feel to much to a point where websites no longer stand out by design. Eventually I custom coded everything instead.

7 Likes

TBH, I don’t like Bootstrap at all. I prefer CSS instead. But Bootstrap will make your work easy if you like to make your website device compatible at the same time (which every developer desires), but for some reason I hate Bootstrap.

7 Likes

I’ve had quite some problems in the past with the GitHub artifact store being unreliable. Mostly with CI pipelines that pulled a lot of stuff from GitHub that all broke down because GitHub ran out of credit on Azure.

Yes, GitHub is free and it supports direct linking. But it’s not a CDN and is not intended to be used that way. An actual CDN should be both faster and more reliable.

The cool kids nowadays all use Tailwind CSS, which provides very similar utility classes as Bootstrap without all the standard components. So you can have a unique design without having to reinvent the wheel for responsive content.

I do like Bootstrap a lot. But I have learned that any framework works best if you play within it’s rules. The more custom CSS you add, the bigger mess it becomes.

8 Likes

Yes, CSS can be quite a mess on a larger project, but I don’t know why I hate Bootstrap. But I am taking a peek at Tailwind.

4 Likes

I thought the rest of the world uses http/2, including me :neutral_face:

6 Likes

Cloudflare still has it enabled anyway; that part refers to who pointed to free hosting servers directly, without proxying. Even my website uses HTTP/2 and still has support for QUIC which is still not implemented thanks to Cloudflare…

8 Likes

8 Likes

934, friends, love, and alcohol. But I don’t drink alcohol :confused:

7 Likes

Great. Love, alcohol, and sex. I’m not even old enough to drink and I have never even had a girlfriend!

7 Likes

I took some time to look at Tailwind in the past, but eventually, there will be more CSS frameworks to supersede each other and make things more standardized in terms of class. In the meantime I still prefer enjoying a faster development lifecycle with just custom CSS.

6 Likes

Love, shopping and music are my things that make me happy!

6 Likes

Sex and Sleep
:joy:

7 Likes

Already???

7 Likes

Is that what’s hosting this forum?

4 Likes