20000 forum users - Awesome Special Event!

I have almost achieved perfection.

6 Likes

Oh boy, that was always a fun challenge back when I was running Google Audit on the web projects I made. I never really got a perfect score because a lot of the stuff I made was more creative and experimental and often contained more computation-heavy operations.

7 Likes

The simpler the page, the higher the result, but when you have a complex page with a lot of things and you have a score above 90 (on mobile), then it’s a success.

6 Likes

In my case, it’s just a dashboard for a user but instead of loading all the tabs in the same file I just use jQuery AJAX to load the files when a tab is selected.

6 Likes

I’m not actively using openai be like :slightly_smiling_face:

Wow, perfect score in pagespeed is hard tbh

6 Likes

iFastNet replaced the redirect to Google’s cookies page with one of their own!

6 Likes

But their “HERE” link doesn’t work. Great. And I found this forum’s IP address :slight_smile:

4 Likes

For me it works fine, so I think they set rules that won’t let that website work for you.

What? How?

4 Likes

When you insert external link, discourse will visit the link to generate the card preview or page’s title. Since I leave logging enabled on my VPS, here’s this forum’s IP:

6 Likes

I know how the onebox in Discourse forums works, but I didn’t know this at all!

5 Likes

It was a very similar method I used to figure out what hosting service InfinityFree uses for its cron deamon.

6 Likes

Google ADS, I have no interest in dating grannies. Please leave me alone :sob:

9 Likes

And now, for the first time on the forum, here is the power of 5G in my zone, with all other devices in the same cell idling or doing some activities that aren’t cell-intensive and some meters near the repeater which is next to my supermarket:

6 Likes

Excellent - how much do you pay for it?

I currently have a similar speed but on optics (upload is 150)
for 11€ per month (fix.phone included and unlimited calls to mobile and non-mobile networks)

There is also a 5€ more expensive package with speeds D-2Gbit/s and U-1Gbit/s

7 Likes

Well, Iliad has 5G only for offers that cost €9.99 (for example the one I’m using as main now, which I’m bringing my mobile number in; for now it has 150 GBs total). In Italy there’s also Fastweb that provides mobile 5G for even cheaper (starting from €7.95 the same GBs as Iliad), though they tend to remodulate their contracts after some time; then the major MNOs have it, though for operator attack offers they tend to not provide 5G… Here in Italy fiber optic packages cost either less or more or stay the same, it also depends on the provider; still double the price as the cheapest plan for you, but the fiber availability still depends on the city/town you live in (I’m still unlucky as I still connect through FTTC at home). When there is pure fiber, some providers bring 5 Gbps in, some half of it (2.5 Gbps), some only a gigabit (like in my case but with 5G); also those are the speeds in download, but the problem is when the town you live in doesn’t have pure fiber and so you either get 200 Mbps download or 100 Mbps, in both cases 20 Mbps upload.

3 Likes

Thanks for explaining - the same is the case here as far as mobile operators are concerned, where FLAT is still too expensive :poop:

I don’t know about iphone, but I use firewall (netguard) for android
and with that, you can block many apps from going online (it offers the option to block wifi or data for each app),
so you can use that 150GB in a smart way, and not that every app goes online nonstop…also useful when an app wants to run ads, so you simply prevent it from going online via “data block” and then it can’t reach the server from which it downloads ads.

It is not easy to lay fiber optic cables in the ground where is the stone/rock
so then it is more common that you have a router that uses a 5G SIM card and the like

In general, you don’t need high speeds unless you are involved in video production on YT and the like, so you upload 4K videos every day,
except of course if your family has 5+ members and then everyone shares the traffic, so it is more useful to have higher speeds.

7 Likes

I want to have “normal” internet speed as the home internet has absolutely killed it for me (cannot open almost anything)

My data provider is relatively speedy but I had my SIM card suspended because my mobile decided it was a good idea to download something big when I had no active data package.

6 Likes

I am not a moderator by any means but I want to ask people especially the new helpers not to try helping with something that they do not completely understand. This will end up bloating the topic with irrelevant information instead of answer. Thank you.

9 Likes

I agree with your post
but I would also like to point out that many of you (some of you now have leader status)
actually started the same way in the sense that they were giving wrong instructions
or their/your answers consisted of endless strings, try this, try that, where users wasted hours, and the problem was in something completely different, so even the admin had to react and ask some users to refrain if they are not 100% sure.

I know about all these cases because I have talked to the admin about these things many times

9 Likes

I guess we learnt from mistakes.
However I can see new helpers started with good intentions…

8 Likes