20000 forum users - Awesome Special Event!

Ziverre what kind of birthday party is that?
meh… finally online again (the first wave of lightning has passed)
there was a crazy storm here - 4 people dead so far and many more seriously injured

7 Likes

Now the party starts!

Were you one of the ones seriously injured? If yes I hope you’ll stay well soon…

6 Likes

I’m fine, thx !

6 Likes

NP and YW as you always say!

4 Likes

It looks like there will be another wave soon

(play button) Windy: Wind map & weather forecast

Real Time Lightning Map :: LightningMaps.org;

6 Likes

Seems like .ml domain is gone as well

8 Likes

Happy birthday!

6 Likes

That means the only free TLDs alive is cf and gq (not mentioning tk because it’s heavily abused)

6 Likes

Not for long

5 Likes

IANA - .ml Domain Delegation Data

led me here

and there is only the latest news from March 20

This one says (fuc___g jpg haven’t they heard of PDF/text ?)

TRANSLATED

ADMINISTRATION

REPUBLIC OF MALI One People-One Goal-One Fool

INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGIES AGENCY

TIC

Bamako, and

The Director General of the Information and Communication Technologies Agency

All dot ML domain name registrants

Subject: Information note relating to the repatriation of the technical management of the ML point

Dear holders,

As part of the repatriation of the technical management of the ML point, I have the honor to inform you of the end of the technical management contract of the ML point between AGETIC and the company Mali Dili B.V this day March 17, 2023 from from midnight. To this end, possible disturbances could occur following the work of failover of the service of domain names (Domain Name Service - DNS) on our platform.

All measures are taken to minimize the impact of these inconveniences.

For any additional information, I invite you to contact the technical managers

following:

Tel.: 66 81 60 30/76 81 60 30, email: [email protected]; Boubacar N’DIAYE, Tel: 77 28 70 89/66 97 16 56, email: [email protected];

Ismaila Haidara, Tel.: 77 28 52 67/89 39 61 61, email: [email protected];

Adam Traore, Tel.: 99571034/77285277, email: [email protected];

Zoumana Traore, Tel: 77285268/66537045, email: [email protected].

Counting on your good understanding, please accept the expression of my highest consideration

Bamako, March 17, 2023

Whatever that means :slight_smile:
I don’t see any other news online

7 Likes

Never see you swearing before :thinking:

3 Likes

There was another article in NRC about Freenom and .ml. The main subject was that Freenom received a large number of sensitive defense related emails because people sent the emails to a .ml address instead of a .mil address.

In the article, they also wrote that the contract for the .ml extension expired last Monday, and the plan was to transfer control back to the Malinese government, but there was “some delay”.

So it seems very likely that we’re not seeing a temporary issue, but actually the full transfer of the .ml extension away from Freenom. And consequently the deletion of all free domain names using the extension.

8 Likes

At this point I’m surprised how Freenom lasted this long.

6 Likes

Yeah, same… It was my to-go place for free domains without waiting though, but now it’s getting limited quite quickly.

Yeah, but not for long… If the authorities decide to transfer ownership of domains with that root domain as well, we’ll be able to see a Freenom with only .tk domains operating, though they’re heavily abused and can’t be hosted here at all, so finally an era where the only free domains that can be used on free hosting are free subdomains and EU.org ones.

5 Likes

It seems to me that they’ve been slowly letting it die for many years now. The people behind it have been working on other projects for a while now (the owner of Freenom just bought an FM radio frequency in the Netherlands to start their own radio station), and in an earlier interview with NRC stated that Freenom was the “worst business model ever”.

And as far as I can tell, they haven’t ever announced why registrations are closed, and that (and when) the domain extensions will be removed. Last time I checked, it was still possible to “manage” .ga domains through Freenom, even though the extension is gone. That doesn’t look to me like a company that cares.

9 Likes

I wasted my time unnecessarily because of someone’s unprofessionalism

I come there
there is no English version
I go to the translator and give it a link, but it doesn’t translate anything
after that, I try to select the text to copy to the translator
I can’t select anything I see
I check what the hell is going on and find out that everything is a bunch of JPG
and I go crazy when a company is so unprofessional, especially one that should control all .ML

8 Likes

@Admin

Did they start “quoting” you on Cloudflare (the post is quite similar to yours above)
I wouldn’t be surprised if they found this forum through a search

7 Likes

:heart:

(No, its not my system)

6 Likes

SRC .ml - Wikipedia

maybe ru is to blame, although the US military blocks sending emails to .ml,
but then again they can intercept a bunch of other e-mails

10 Likes

10 Likes